booboohead

booboohead

Just reactions to books I read. I don't really summarize the book's content, because how hard is it to click on the cover and read the description?

So I just write my response.

Interesting but a LOT of talking; would make a great TV miniseries. Less interesting book.

Departure - John Riddle

There's a lot of talking in this book. A lot of explaining and talking. It starts out well, but as soon as the initial crash/events happen, mostly everyone just talks about what happened.

This is one of those books that sounds better than the execution is. Not that it was bad -- my eyes glazed over in some of the talky parts -- but it's the kind of book that would be far far better as a television series because the visuals would make up for the talky bits and general lack of action. (Or rather, bursts of action and then talking and talking.) The characters don't really discover anything; it's just all explained to them.

It's also one of those books where I wish I'd never read the author's note at the end, in which he explains that the book is basically about his personal writing journey. Do you know what I never, never, NEVER want to be told? That I'm reading a fictionalized memoir about a writer. Thanks but no. Give me the fiction. Leave your personal journey out of it. I don't care about you. I care about your characters and I never want an author to replace his characters in my head.

BLECH.