booboohead

booboohead

Just reactions to books I read. I don't really summarize the book's content, because how hard is it to click on the cover and read the description?

So I just write my response.

SPOILER ALERT!

DNF - Just weirdly flat and disappointing

Dark Avenging Angel - Catherine Cavendish

#

I picked this up after seeing it mentioned in a review of another book (one of those, "If you want to read something genuinely scary and well-written, try Dark Avenging Angel" type of comments). Unfortunately, it's neither scary nor well-written. The first quarter is told in a flat narrative style that all but eschews any establishment of setting or description. It's basically a recounting of a girl growing up in an abusive household, but there's nothing to place the reader in any scene or any moment. We're just told what happens.

Eventually the narrative style moves us into a present time and begins to follow the character (rather than simply recounting the past) but the writing remains terribly flat. Here is an example from a scene when she finally faces down her abusive father (and the angel kills him):

Dialogue out of a B-movie, repetitive sentence styling -- and zero emotional resonance. There's nothing in here to tell us how the character is feeling at this pivotal moment. Just some trite dialogue that suggests satisfaction and triumph in the most cliched way.

So, I put it away. Just flat and terrible.