booboohead

booboohead

Just reactions to books I read. I don't really summarize the book's content, because how hard is it to click on the cover and read the description?

So I just write my response.

SPOILER ALERT!

Nice little end-of-the-world zombie tale

Apocalypse Z: The Beginning of the End - Manel Loureiro, Pamela Carmell

This was fun -- we see the end of the world come through one regular guy's blog posts and journal entries. The writing was a little stiff sometimes, but that might be because of a) the translation or b) the character, who doesn't seem like the type who would be waxing lyrical and poetic. So the writing is fairly simplistic, but at least it's not irritating.

The main character is mostly just a regular guy, as mentioned above. The rather extraordinary things that he does do are nicely explained away by his hobbies in the old life (the wetsuit that saves his life more than once, his surviving some rough seas) and he's hurt often enough. This is no super-soldier action hero; he's just a smart guy.

He also is likable enough, going to extraordinary lengths to keep his cat safe, which is nice -- but toward the end, one bothersome point stuck its head up:

[spoiler] his reaction to the teenage girl he meets. I understand that he hasn't seen a female in a while, so even though his reaction makes sense, it was pretty creepy that one of the first thing he noticed about this seventeen year old girl was her perky breasts. By the end of the book, her sexuality is all that we really know about her. She's apparently got a brain in her head, because she survived, but already she's nibbling on his earlobe.

On the other hand, he apparently stays four months in a basement with her (and without touching her) so maybe it won't be a problem. Still, it could be a deal-breaker for me in the sequel if he keeps getting hot over a girl.[/spoiler]