booboohead

booboohead

Just reactions to books I read. I don't really summarize the book's content, because how hard is it to click on the cover and read the description?

So I just write my response.

SPOILER ALERT!

Decent post-apocalyptic tale

In the After - Demitria Lunetta

I liked this one pretty well, but didn't love it. I won't really be sorry if I never pick up the sequel (because yes, of course, the whole story isn't told in one book. Sigh.)

It is nice to encounter a smart, sensible heroine in stories like these. Her survival is almost by pure luck at the beginning (thanks to a paranoid mother and a hipster father) but her continued survival is because she adapts well and doesn't take stupid chances.

[spoiler]I wasn't as impressed with the second half, when she is taken to the enclave where more survivors have set up a new community. It wasn't the plot that began to annoy me, but the way it was told -- there's a time jump, and we know that she's in a mental ward, being drugged to keep her from remembering whatever she discovered about the community that is so terrible.

This section really irritated me. For one, it's no freaking surprise that something about the community is not as it seems (because, hello! This is a post-apocalyptic story and that ALWAYS HAPPENS) and that there's something weird about the aliens who've been attacking and killing the humans. So the stay and the mental ward and the forced drama and danger there didn't work at all, especially since her discovery was all told in flashback. Far, FAR better would have been to discover everything along with her, so that when the shit hits the fan and we discover what the aliens are -- and she has to leave -- it has all been building to that point instead of going back and forth and trying to create tension with the threat of a lobotomy. Because WE KNOW THAT WON'T HAPPEN.

Just a really poor and silly narrative choice.

[/spoiler]

Maybe I'll read the next one. I probably won't pay the same money for it, though ($9.99)-- I'll wait until it goes on sale below $5.