booboohead

booboohead

Just reactions to books I read. I don't really summarize the book's content, because how hard is it to click on the cover and read the description?

So I just write my response.

Do-It-Again in Death

Concealed in Death - J.D. Robb

I don't know, I guess that waiting over a month before I even bothered to buy this one should have warned me that I'm a little bit tired of these books. I used to download/read them the week (sometimes even the same night) they came out.

But obviously I still pay hardcover ebook prices for them, so I guess I'm still hanging in there. I'm not sure I'll keep on bothering with getting them even a month after release, though, because I might need a break from the samey-samey stuff.

The mystery was okay. Nothing exciting, no tension or danger to speak of, but at least a little different. Then again, maybe a bit more tension would have made the samey-samey stuff easier to swallow. I guess I'll go into bullet points.

What I liked:

• Eve. I always like Eve. The best part of this entire book was her interaction with Dennis Mira, and her hat and gloves.

Wow, that was a short "What I liked" section.

What bothered me:

• Peabody. This hurts me to say this, because aside from Eve, Peabody is the reason why I read these books. If Roarke was killed off, I'd still read this series just for Eve and Peabody.

That said, in this volume, Peabody almost seemed like a caricature of herself. There's always been the funny bits with her craving fatty foods and remarking on pop culture items that Eve is oblivious to, along with her body consciousness. But it was just like IN EVERY SCENE that's all she was. A little bit of detecting, a lot of "oooh, shiny!"

• Everyone sounds the same. There are a few exceptions to this -- Eve, Peabody, and Mavis all have distinct voices, and every now and then Roarke's accent comes through into the language, but aside from that every single adult over the age of 21 has the same verbal rhythms and vocabulary, it seems like. You can't tell the difference between Morris, Mira, and most of the people Eve interviewed. This has been a problem in these books for a long time, but maybe because there was no tension, it just bothered me more.

• The editing. Where was it? Dropped quote marks, "preformed" instead of "performed," "pricy" instead of "pricey." This isn't a freaking self-pubbed book. It's Nora Roberts/J.D. Robb, one of the BIGGEST names in publishing. Why can't she get a decent edit?

So, yeah. Going to wait on the next one.